Sunday, March 20, 2005

Jack goes home to Seremban. And scares Sally

Almost a month old and Jack finally makes his first trip back home to Seremban.

The drive down was pretty bad. Driver problem, though. I didn’t realize how bad my astigmatism has gotten. Already I have difficulty judging distances in normal night driving, with lights (lamp lights, billboard lights, headlamps, brake lights, signal turns, gaudy lighted cars…groan) magnified and blurred. On highway everything was worse. The blurring lights zoomed by, never ceasing.

Jack is fast and that was another problem. Baby I could handle, less speed and better judgement, I could weave in and out as my per my normal driving. Jack was scary. I couldn’t judge distances well (strain, strain), lights were zooming past too fast, and at the back of my head was that nagging voice warning again and again that highway crashes are more lethal. Jack could stand a dent or two but highway crashes are another matter.

I was driving while analyzing all this – I was making a mental list of Jack/Baby differences and why exactly Jack was scaring me so – when I realized it was Saturday. Jack’s favourite day to earn scars. Gosh.

Lost courage. Switched back to the middle lane and followed whatever speed the car in front was travelling at. No overtaking even when I knew Jack could. Drove like a granny.

I don’t regret losing my guts back there. It was horrible driving while not able to see well, and at such speed. Must get my eyes fixed.

5 comments:

Ted Mahsun said...

Phew! You almost scared me back there with that title!

Good thing you're okay.

Obsius said...

Transnasional, anyone? :P

Or, my personal favorite... drive EARLY morning. 6:30 to 7:00 am are nice times to start a trip. Neither too bright, nor too dark. Only problem is waking up :P

Anah Shariff said...

i've got a better idea. Come down to melaka and i'll teach u how to zig zag in traffic. Better still, drive down to melaka and just give me the car. :p

Obsius said...

or get some shades. oh wait.. u're driving at night :P

but u shud invest a little into those corrective lenses that fix astigmatism. How much are those on average?

sharkgila said...

Transnasional? Cannot la. The whole purpose was to get Jack to go home. Got to do something about my eyesight.

Anah: If I give you Jack, would you give me Hot Shot? Hehehe

Teddy: Thanks for caring!